It was an epic homecoming celebration for Missy Elliott. The hip-hop icon returned to her high school in Portsmouth, Virginia on October 17th for a very special performance. Elliott took the stage at her alma mater, Manor High, and delivered more than one speech to thank the locals.
But that was not the main reason for Missy to come back and visit her hometown. On the contrary, she was there to witness an even bigger privilege. Namely, local authorities decided to name an entire boulevard after the hip-hop legend. This is something that rarely happens and it’s a testament to Missy Elliott’s impact on both the music industry and popular culture.
The ceremony was attended by many local dignitaries, including the city’s mayor, Governor Glenn Youngkin, and Congressman Bobby Scott. Some of the most notable guests included the likes of Timbaland, Pusha T, and Trey Songz.
Elliott’s return to Portsmouth was a momentous occasion. It was clear that the school held a special place in Elliott’s heart, and she was clearly emotional during her set. This homecoming show was a truly unforgettable moment for both Elliott and her fans.
What did Missy Elliott say?
Missy Elliott posted her comments on Twitter. “Manor High! This is my school I graduated from & yes I was the class clown always in the hallways cutting up! All the teachers would say Melissa stop beating on the lockers & rapping get to class & now look I’m back here Celebrating! #757 VA P-Town”
Apparently, Elliott was quite a handful back in her day. But it’s clear that she’s still got the same energy and charisma that made her one of the most successful rappers of all time. Thanks to Missy Elliott, hip-hop is now an international phenomenon.
But what’s next for Missy Elliott?
She is currently working on new music. Elliott is also gearing up for her first headlining tour in years. This is very exciting news for Elliott’s fans, who have been waiting patiently for new material. If you are a fan of Missy Elliott, make sure to check out her upcoming tour dates. You definitely don’t want to miss out on this!
Missy Elliott: Facts you need to know
Missy Elliott is a highly successful rapper, singer, songwriter, and producer. However, even some of her most dedicated followers don’t necessarily know a few really interesting facts about this lady. Here’s what we can say about the celebrity who comes from Portsmouth, Virginia.
- Elliott’s first album, Supa Dupa Fly, was released in 1997: It was a huge success, selling more than two million copies in the United States alone. The album instantly won over the audience with its mix of R&B, rap, and funk. It also featured the now-classic song “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly).”
- She has won four Grammy Awards: This includes three awards for her solo work and one for the best music video. We are talking about Get Ur Freak On, Scream a.k.a. Itchin, Work It, and Lose Control. All of these songs are considered to be among the best hip-hop tracks of all time.
- Elliott has been nominated for an incredible 22 Grammy Awards: This just goes to show how much the music industry loves and respects her work. In fact, she is one of the most nominated female rappers in Grammy history.
- She has worked with some of the biggest names in the business: We are talking about the likes of Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, and Christina Aguilera. Elliott has also collaborated with Timbaland on numerous occasions. The two artists have a really special relationship.
- She is the first female rapper to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame: This happened in 2019. Elliott was inducted alongside the likes of John Legend, Jerry Garcia, and Neil Diamond. This is a truly incredible achievement that proves her longevity in the music industry.
These are only some of the fascinating facts about Missy. If you happen to know other interesting bits of information about her, make sure to share them with us in the comment section below. We would love to hear from you!
Other musicians deserve their own streets or boulevards
In addition to Missy Elliott, there are other musicians out there who definitely deserve their own streets or boulevards. We can think of a few names off the top of our heads, including Beyonce, Drake, Lil Wayne, and Cardi B.
All of them have made an incredible impact on the music industry and have helped to shape the sound of modern pop music. They are all true icons in their own right. But the list of admirable artists is probably too long to name them all here.
Robert Hudson is a freelance journalist and blogger who mainly writes for Superiorpapers. He is usually creating articles about music, film, and travel. Robert is a big fan of live concerts and music festivals.
To submit an article an article or review, or to just say hello hit us at [email protected]
Also- check out the search feature in the upper right hand corner and search for your favorite artist, event, venue or genre. You’ll be surprised at what you find!
Check out the Live Music News and Review.com Facebook page for updates and announcements.